This job is no longer available
From orphanages to hospitals to International NGOs, volunteer accountants are needed across Africa, Asia and South America. Accounting for International Development (AfID) arranges volunteer placements from 2 weeks to 6 months or more at these organisations.
Grassroots organisations such as health clinics, street child centres and schools hugely benefit from financial coaching and support: the improvement in financial management allows them to do more work with the same amount of money, and in a number of cases saves them from closing down.
Assignments typically focus on 1 of 3 primary areas:
- Conducting a Financial Health Assessment/Internal Audit
- Coaching and developing the accounting skills of local NGO staff
- Assisting with the preparation and analysis of financial plans and budgets
The need for skilled accountants is largely driven by a lack of training at local level, combined with the complex reporting requirements of donor organisations. When you are a headmistress, doctor or a nun trying to run an NGO with very limited resources, it can be very difficult to keep accurate records and perform your normal duties - with a different set of accounts and reports required by each donor, of which there can be many, you begin to see the problem.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- International donor relations
- Sourcing new local NGO partners
- Implementation of financial controls & procedures
- Assisting partners with funding proposals and assessments.
- Teaching English, sports & Microsoft Office skills
For more information please contact us on +44 (0) 207 559 1422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please forward our details to any accountants in your network that you think would be interested in our work. www.afid.org.uk