This job is no longer available
No commute, capped income tax at 20%, no VAT on goods, stunning scenery and the best of contemporary living, Guernsey is the perfect destination! With inspiring walks along cliff paths, rambles through the rural interior or lazy days on the island`s beautiful beaches, Guernsey may offer the idyllic living you`ve always dreamed of!
Our client has been providing electricity to the island for over one hundred years and they are currently looking to recruit a Senior Substation Engineer. Your objectives will be to maximise availability and safe operation of all Transmission and Distribution plant, HV switchgear and Power Station Transformers.
You will hold the primary responsibility for substation electrical systems. This senior position within the company is key in delivering the work required to maintain secure electrical systems and is expected to motivate teams accordingly. The post holder will have a high level of safety responsibility, as they are involved in high voltage operational work. The post holder must also undertake standby duty as part of a rota system for the distribution network.
Primary Responsibilities will include, but are not be limited to:
- Managing and supervising the execution of the substations, HV switchgear, and protection systems and wound plant asset maintenance programmes.
- Carrying out faultfinding, investigation and supervising repairs and modifications.
- Undertaking system related projects, design, plan and manage project work on the power station site and on the distribution system.
- Supervising & development of Electrical staff to ensure safe working and compliance with safety rules and procedures.
- Carrying out High and Medium voltage switching and making safe apparatus in accordance with the Company`s Electrical and Mechanical safety rules. The ideal candidate will be professionally qualified to degree level in Electrical engineering or hold equivalent experience in electrical and electronics. Will have proven supervisory skills and be able to manage staff in an effective manner. An in depth knowledge and experience of electrical plant and equipment is essential. Successful candidates will need:
- A minimum of 5 years post training experience will be typical
- To be authorised for HV plant and equipment under the Guernsey Electricity Safety Rules - A valid category B driving licence is essential
- To be fit for on site work and able to carry heavy test equipment Additional Benefits: Annual salary review, performance related annual bonus, Pension scheme, Life Assurance, Medical Cover, 25 days Holiday + 9 Bank holidays, relocation package