This job is no longer available
DATA SCIENTIST - (TIMES TECH TRACK 100) - LONDON
We are seeking an experienced Data Scientist to join a fast-growing, Camden based internet group that possess a portfolio of innovative, high profile brands under their name. As an expert at analysing large data sets your insight will help a major internet business continue to maintain their competitive edge. Read on...
Established in 2004 this privately funded organisation owns a portfolio of award winning internet businesses focussed on consumer engagement and innovation. As a member of the Sunday Times Tech Track 100, Best 100 Companies to work for and the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 this dynamic organisation has stunning offices, employs over 300 people and has revenues exceeding £100million.
We're looking for a smart, adaptable person who can turn their hands to many different things (sounds like the definition of a good Data Scientist to us!). You'll be given a lot of freedom and responsibility, so the ability to plan your work and execute it independently is vital. On the other hand, thinking creatively and working closely with others is important as well (we don't ask for much ;-)).
You might be asked to answer questions like "Why do people click on this link?" or "What influences people to convert?". You might need to build neural networks, navigate random forests, or do simple regression. How you do things will be largely up to you, the main thing is to answer questions that are important to the project.
You’ll be helping our business understand more about our customers and make smarter evidence-based decisions. You’ll be writing code and performing research every day.
Required skills and experience:
- A research and programming background - we place a lot of emphasis on being able to write code to solve small problems and be part of larger systems
- An advanced Degree (Masters/PhD) in Computer Science, Mathematics or another related discipline.
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, Cascading and related tools along with 3+ years Java experience.
- A background that includes some use of predictive modelling, statistical learning, machine learning, time series analysis etc.
Thinking of joining? Do you:
- Love solving difficult problems and working in a free-thinking environment?
- Use R on a daily basis?
- Have another language e.g. ruby or python?
- Actually enjoy data-munging?
- Like working with big data?
- Understand machine learning and statistics?
- Have experience of text mining/NLP?
- Have a mean backhand on the ping pong table?
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with a strong work ethic looking to work in a beautiful office furnished with best-in-class facilities including; free breakfast, lunch and refreshments, pool table, music and games room, free massages, foosball table, top spec laptops, Aeron chairs, Wii and fantastic social evenings. Our Christmas parties are spectacular too! Get in touch...
Deadline for receipt of applications for this role is Friday, 5 October 2012.
Keywords: Data Scientist, Data Scientist Jobs in Central London, Jobs, London, Data Scientist Jobs in Camden, Central London, Camden, North London, NW1.
Guru are an employment business renowned for delivering careers networking to the IT sector. In this instance Guru are managing the selection process for this particular Data Scientist campaign on the behalf of our client. We offer a transparent service to both clients and candidates which means that if you pass our initial filtering criteria (based on your CV suitability against our client’s requirements) we will email you with the client’s details and also pass your complete application to the client for consideration. By applying to this role you are granting consent for us to work in this way. One final note, your application will only be used in conjunction with this specific role.