Media Relations Manager
Swindon Head Office
Full Time / Permanent
A more challenging role
An exciting opportunity has arisen to support the Society's business strategies by developing, implementing and measuring comprehensive communications programmes, identifying and building relationships with key opinion formers externally and key business partners internally providing support to the Senior Manager, Media Relations (Corporate) and the Head of External Affairs.
* To own, build and manage the day to day relationships with opinion formers within the following areas: Media (TV; radio;
* To build, maintain and own trusted and impactful relationships with an internal network of key stakeholders and clients.
* For these clients, understand their business needs and challenges and develop innovative and creative media strategies that raise the profile of each client in the media, while also protecting them and the business from reputational damage.
* To brief, advise and provide expert and credible consultancy to this network on relevant media, member and marketplace issues and opportunities as they arise.
* To produce high quality written content, capable of being used for publication to external, and where appropriate, internal audiences.
* To develop, maintain and leverage trusted and credible relationships with key journalists relevant to each client area and the business.
* To build an in-depth understanding of Nationwide's current corporate priorities and how these impact upon the method of engaging with the media and members on each issue.
* To identify, anticipate and react to issues in the business and the market place and prepare both proactive and/or reactive strategies and tactics to protect and promote Nationwide's brand and reputation.
* To devise, implement and review a systematic and thorough programme of senior management briefings for all media interviews and member events where required
* To manage events, analyse data, organise meetings, organise the updating of intranet and internet sites, liaise with departmental budget and risk officers, as required.
A more talented person
* Desirable 5 years' experience in the delivery of high-impact external communication strategies and action plans to help deliver desired business outcomes or can demonstrate the essential skills required.
* Professionally qualified to degree level or equivalent with significant practical experience of public relations.
* Ability to demonstrate experience of managing and nurturing challenging client relationships with evidence of effective measurement and expectation management
* Capable of producing high quality work with minimal supervision and with a strong use of initiative.
* Very articulate with excellent presentational skills, both written and verbal using all modern forms of technology.
* Strong analytical skills and knowledge to produce a persuasive business case and to understand and use appropriate measures to demonstrate results.
* Strategic thinker, innovative, creative, yet pragmatic. Politically astute, able to communicate at executive level, prepared to work under pressure and at speed to meet challenging deadlines while achieving results of the highest standard.
* Able to recognise potential risks to the Society's brand and reputation and to devise and implement strategies that minimise the impact of each risk.
* Excellent business judgement and strong organisational awareness.
* Excellent written and presentation communication skills.
An employer you're proud of
Our mutual status means we're here to benefit customers, not shareholders. Our commitment to customers, not shareholders, has always been what sets us apart from our competitors. And now, more than ever, our reputation for being open, honest and trustworthy is helping us go from strength to strength. In fact, it's made us the world's biggest building society as well as a major local employer. Underpinning it all is a commercial operation that never stands still. We're always thinking ahead, aiming higher and sharpening our competitive edge. That's why we invest in people who are not only proud of what we stand for, but who also have the talent and drive to boost our performance still further.
The rewards you deserve
If you put a lot in, it's only fair you should get a lot out. Help us continue to offer customers the best possible experience, and we'll give you all the support, recognition and rewards you deserve. As well as a great working environment and plenty of scope for development and growth, you can expect a generous package that includes pension, life assurance, healthcare and bonus scheme.