Senior Java Developer - Worldwide Telcoms Industry - E London
The developer is a key role within the IS Implementation team in the delivery process, possessing a detailed technical knowledge of Java and using it to deliver solutions for internal and external customers. Here's what we expect from someone in this role:
- Understand the goals and strategy behind each project from conception through completion. Applying industry best practices and lessons learned through experience to structure and define the approach to solving problems
- Write clean, well-engineered code that conforms to accepted Java industry standards. Help set the example for the rest of the team in the areas they are best at.
- Demonstrate excellence in solution architecture, design and development.
- Have a good understanding of the Software development lifecycle and appreciation for Agile development practices.
- Have an expert level understanding of web technologies and enterprise solution design, service oriented architecture
Share insight on development techniques and methodologies. Help team members to be more productive by working smarter, more efficiently and by using better techniques for implementing better code.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate skills in the following areas:
- The ability to interact with internal customers and help them to understand the issues, solution approach and outcome. This includes:
- exploring ideas for how to use a platform, and explaining what various modules do.
- collecting requirements and helping people craft their strategy for how to operationally use these capabilities within their day-to-day operations.
- demonstrating new features as they become available, receiving feedback and incorporating it in to the work stack.
- Having good collaboration skills. This includes:
- being able to work with other developers (internal and external) on complex technical issues and achieve good results.
- being able to coordinate effectively with project managers and business analysts around schedules and deliverables for projects.
- being able to identify opportunities to improve processes and offer constructive suggestions for change.
- Advanced knowledge of Java development techniques. This includes the following:
- building code adhering to industry standards, using techniques which can be considered examples of best practices for development.
- the ability to write reusable code that can be deployed over multiple projects.
- an understanding of collaborative development techniques, including the use of SVN, branches, post commits and more to automated development processes.
- Participate in structured product development processes. This means:
- sticking to a features list, and speaking up when something appears to be missing.
- adhering to release schedules, honouring commitments we make to the business.
The ability to work without direct supervision, to make use of internal project management tools, to diligently estimate effort and to keep others aware of your schedule for planning purposes.
Technical skills needed
- Knowledge of Java 1.5 or higher, JSP, Spring (IoC and MVC framework) 2.0 or greater, J2EE
- Good knowledge of SQL and use of Oracle DB v8, v10
- Development-led / Technical Degree or equivalent qualification
- Good overall commercial experience
- A strong portfolio of Java application development and integration to complex enterprise solutions.
- Experienced with working in a Linux/UNIX environment
- Good Knowledge of XML, XSLT and XPath
- Knowledge of Hibernate and iBatis ORM technologies
- Familiar with JUnit (version 3 or greater) and writing test driven code
- Knowledge of configuring and managing Tomcat 6.0 installations
- Knowledge of Maven (version 2) and Ant build tools
- Working knowledge ofAJAX, using DWR or similar technologies.
- Experience of working with Web services and the principles and implementation of SOA (architecture)
- Knowledge of Eclipse or similar IDE
- Experience managing source code using Subversion
To find out more about Computer Futures please visit www.computerfutures.com