This job is no longer available
School: Tring School, Hertfordshire
Job: Science Technician
Hours: 25 hours per week term time + 3 weeks
Salary: H1/H2: £13,589-£15,725 (pro rata) depending on applicant
Start date: January 2013
Tring School in Hertfordshire is looking for an efficient and well organised person to join their existing Science team, providing specialist, practical support to the teaching staff in our busy Science department. The work is varied, rewarding and an exciting opportunity to help in the delivery of education to young people. Experience is preferable but training will be given to the right applicant.
You will ensure that equipment and materials are available and set up in school laboratories and workrooms to enable practical science work to be carried out, safely, promptly, and efficiently.
The Science department is staffed by 11 science teachers most of whom teach the full range of age and ability within the school as well as four experienced laboratory technicians and administrative support assistants. The department is housed in a purpose-built block, comprising of 11 full size laboratories, all serviced from preparation rooms close by. Currently this enables almost all Science lessons to be taught in laboratories with a focus on practical work.
Knowledge, Skills & Personal Qualities:
- Five GCSEs* and an A level* in a Science subject (*or equivalent).
- Laboratory experience in an Education environment, or in a Public Service laboratory working in close contact with children
- Experience of making up dilute solutions of chemicals from concentrated solutions (e.g. acids).
- A good understanding of laboratory safety procedures and practices and how they relate to children.
- Flexibility and a clear willingness to learn new skills and enhance knowledge.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain relationships.
- Ability to prioritise requests from a number of contacts.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Sense of humour.
The successful applicant will be efficient and be able to use their initiative.
For more information and to apply please visit our website http://www.tringschoolherts.co.uk/ or contact Tarja Aila at our partner Capita Education Resourcing on 0800 022 3829 or email
Closing Date: Midday (12:00) on Monday 10th December
Interview Date: TBC
Safeguarding: We are committed to safeguarding children and young people. We adhere to stringent recruitment procedures and all post holders are subject to a satisfactory enhanced Criminal Records disclosure.