Head of Department - English
Head of English
MPS/UPS + TLR 1A (£12,393)
Are you a Head of Department, an experienced Teacher of English who is looking for the next step up and looking to make a real difference?
Capita Education is looking to appoint a permanent Head of Department in English to work within an up and coming Catholic Secondary School based within Medway to start in September 2013 to work within a department that is committed to making English as enjoyable as possible for all students, with a clear aim to helping them achieve as highly as they possibly can, whilst becoming independent, critical thinkers along the way
We are looking for a creative and imaginative Head of English, who will be a role model for teaching and learning, which is committed to raising attainment and able to secure commitment of those you line manage/ teach within your subject area.
You must demonstrate knowledge and understanding:-
- School improvement and effectiveness strategies including the process of school self-evaluation, and specifically contribute to those strategies through your own leadership of teaching and learning.
- Principles and practices in relation to managing learning and teaching, people, policy and planning, resources and finance.
- Principles and practices of effective leadership and management of change. You will act as a role-model for leadership and management of initiatives as directed by the Headteacher.
- Principles of curriculum planning and support the Senior Leadership Group by your own working practices.
- Financial planning and resource planning.
You will be responsible for:-
- Developing a literacy policy for the school: monitoring and evaluation
- Standards of achievement of all those pupils/students in your specialist curriculum area
- Processes and systems for quality assurance within subject areas
- Working specifically with designated LSAs for English
You must have:-
- A teaching qualification, PGCE or GTP
- Outstanding curriculum knowledge (English)
- Excellent communication skills
- Good behaviour management skills
- A passion for learning
- Commitment to raising attainment
- The ability to work as part of a team
* Please contact Tracy Wisdom at Capita Education on 01622 693545 or e-mail *
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare and safety of young people. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced criminal records check being undertaken before the position commences.