This job is no longer available
To grow the portfolio of global clients syndicating content owned by Independent Print Ltd (IPL) and Evening Standard Limited (ESL). This includes leading the acquisition of new clients for both spot sales and news services but also assisting to maximise returns from existing clients.
- Proactively identify through networking, conferences and online research those print publishers, web publishers, broadcasters, corporate clients and others who might sign up to an Independent or ES subscription deal (“news service”) or join the alerts service audience.
- Contact those potential clients in person, by phone or by email as appropriate to outline the value and strength of Independent and Evening Standard content and to sign them up to the news and/or alerts services. This may involve travel to EMEA, Asia Pacific and the US depending on client type and value.
- Process the resulting sales including agreement of terms, pricing, invoicing, content sourcing and delivery.
- Maintain accurate and clear records and pipelines of clients contacted and/or sold to.
- Create suitable presentations and supporting documentation for the promotion of Independent and Evening Standard content to sales prospects.
- Assist in answering telephone and email enquiries relating to the republishing, broadcasting or other syndication of content from the Independent, Independent on Sunday, I and London Evening Standard as well as their web equivalents.
- Liaise with the network of agents contracted by the publisher to generate news service and spot sales independently of the syndication team. Ensure in particular that any exclusive arrangements are suitably priced and are honoured by all relevant parties.
- Liaise with Editorial and legal teams to ensure clients and honour all restrictions on the sale of specific content.
- Encourage repeat spot sales business and conversion of spot sales clients into news service clients by ensuring a high level of professionalism and client care at all times and by forging strong, lasting relationships with regular clients.
- Work with the Head of Licensing & Syndication and other syndication team members to explore new business opportunities that arise.
- Cover the work of the Syndication Manager and/or Image Syndication person in their absence.
- Other tasks, as necessary
Michael Pocock – Head of Licensing & Syndication (line manager)
Joanna Chaundy – Syndication Manager
Shah Raju – Syndication Contracts Manager
Lee Marquis – Image Syndication
Robert Amies – Legal (review new contracts and extensions)
Mike Baker/Steve Clark – Finance (establish billing and ensure prompt payment)
Clare Penfold – Library (find and deliver content)
Editorial and Legal Teams – through managing editor’s office, ensure that only content to which the publisher owns the rights is distributed to clients.
Experience and skills required in order to do the role
- Exceptional, proven sales and negotiation skills, ideally with news syndication experience.
- Very strong contact building and customer relations ability including experience in building relationships with clients in other countries and cultures.
- Proactive, self-starting approach to developing new business
- Excellent management and organisation skills
- Willingness to travel and ability to manage own itinerary and expenses
- Familiarity with the ESI titles and websites
- Ability to work to deadlines with a high level of accuracy and detail
- Flexibility (eg fielding sales queries out of hours and working on tasks not directly related to this role)
- Experience of working with third parties and liaising between multiple stakeholders to achieve results
- Good general knowledge
- Project management