Trustee with financial expertise
Icon is the leading voice for the conservation of moveable cultural heritage in the UK. The Institute aims to advance knowledge and education in conservation and achieve the long-term preservation and conservation of cultural heritage. It does this by providing guidance, advocacy, and training & education opportunities and by uniting the conservation profession and wider heritage community.
Icon is a charity and also a professional body. It brings together over three thousand individuals and organisations. Its membership embraces the wider conservation community, incorporating not only professional conservators in all disciplines, but all others who share a commitment to improving understanding of and access to our cultural heritage. We raise awareness of the cultural, social and economic value of caring for our heritage and champion high standards of conservation. The support of our members, partners, donors and sponsors is critical to our ability to represent conservation, the conservation profession and those who support our aims.
The key aims of Icon's 5-year strategic plan 2012-16 are:
- To champion and support professional standards of heritage conservation in the UK
- To seek out key partners to achieve our mission
- To build the long-term financial and operational stability of Icon
Therefore in line with their strategic objectives, the charity is looking to recruit a Trustee with a strong financial and business background to serve on our Finance Committee.
The successful candidate will be assigned the following duties and responsibilities:
- To ensure that ICON complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations To ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document To ensure the charity uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are To contribute actively to the board of trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets To ensure and safeguard the good name and values of the charity To ensure the effective and efficient administration To ensure the financial stability of ICON
- The successful candidate need not have formal financial qualifications but you should be familiar with company (and possibly charity) budgeting and accounting and be ready to complement and challenge our existing team. This includes the part-time Business Manager who is also Company Secretary, a Finance Officer and external accountants
- Possess skills, experience and perspectives which are external to conservation
- Have a clear understanding and experience of organizational governance
- Have strong skills in strategic and analytical thinking
- Be well networked in their respective areas
- Have a broad appreciation of and enthusiasm for cultural heritage
- Be in a position to commit time to the Board and to Icon
The role is non-executive, but is anticipated to require the equivalent of on average 1-1.5 days per month. Board meetings currently take place in London four times a year on weekdays plus one to two annual Board away days. Travel expenses will be reimbursed per meeting.
How Candidates Apply
Interested applicants are requested to send in the most-up-to date CV and a cover letter stating how they meet the role requirements. Please note that this position is not remunerated however reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.