This job is no longer available
Company Description - Diverse Abilities Plus provides support for children and adults with Disabilities and their families. This support ranges from delivering respite, supporting people in their own homes or providing education. The charity supports both adults and children with profound physical and learning difficulties.
The key strategic priorities are:
- To ensure that the organisation provides the highest quality of service to the people they support, so that they are empowered to live independently.
- To grow the organisation to extend the provision of care to the wider Dorset community.
- To safeguard the organisation from cuts in public spending which will continue to threaten the organisation to mitigate this, therefore they are also seeking to increase our fundraising capability exponentially.
Job Description - Diverse Abilities Plus is looking for someone with experience within the area of fundraising and / or marketing at a senior level. Ideally candidates should live in the Dorset / West Hampshire area, have empathy with the goals of the organisation and be prepared to give the time to make a difference. The ability to work as a member of a team is important and also ideally to act as a coach / mentor to the management team.
The successful candidate will play a key part in setting the strategic direction of this organisation which provides support for a huge number of families within the Dorset area. The expertise and commitment the candidates will bring should complement and add value to the senior management team responsible for running the organisation on a daily basis.
As a trustee you will be assigned the following duties and responsibilities if you come on their Board:
- Deciding the charity’s overall approach to income generation and mission.
- Take ultimate responsibility for directing the affairs of a charity, and should ensure it is solvent, properly run, and delivering the charitable outcomes for which it has been set up for the benefit of the public.
- Complying with charity law, acting in the best interests of the charity, complying with the legal principles of duty of care and duty of prudence and maintaining control of charitable funds.
- Ensure that the charity prepares reports on what it has achieved and annual returns and accounts as required by law
- Use charitable funds and assets reasonably, and only in furtherance of the charity’s objects
- Retain overall responsibility for every aspect of the charity’s activities and ensure they have proper mechanisms for delegating activities such as fundraising, with clear terms of reference for those exercising the delegated authority
- Make decisions around choice of appropriate fundraising methods to determine the amount needed to be raised, determine the fundraising appeal and provide estimate on timelines to achieve the target.
Person Specification - If you have experience in public relations, organising fundraising, strategic fundraising, market strategy and research, business advice, advertising and communication, project management and risk management then please send us your most up to date CVs and cover letters.
Time Commitment - Trustee meetings will take place in Poole, Dorset. Currently board meetings are once a month, each lasting 2-3 hours although this may change. Trustees may be asked to sit on subcommittees and it is also expected that they are within reason visible reach, and available, to senior management outside of meetings.
Please note that this position is voluntary and is not remunerated, however reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.