This job is no longer available
My client specialises in the creation, management, promotion and delivery of digital content across all media, from linear television to web and mobile phones. It is the largest provider of outsourced linear playout services in Europe and is a leading provider of access, EPG, creative and on demand services to a first class client base of broadcasters, channels, telcos, cable companies and other content producers. With its unique proposition combining creative, editorial and technology, There Media's clients include the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five, Sky, ESPN, Discovery, Foxtel in Australia, VRT in Belgium, M6 in France, Samsung, Waitrose, Honda and Boots the Chemist.
My client has revenues in excess of £130m and over 1400 staff. With operations in London, Paris, Berlin, Seville and Sydney, They currently sells into 22 countries worldwide.
The Systems Administrators key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Own and manage the resolution of problems that are passed from the shift support team, as well as escalating to and involving 3rd party support providers as necessary.
- work with other technical teams, including architects and software developers, to ensure that new projects and upgrades are suitably specified, deployed and accepted into the live support estate.
- Act as a point of escalation for 1st and 2nd line teams, engaging in problem management methodologies where appropriate. Carry out root cause analysis.
- Work to specify, deploy and make operationally live new projects and upgrades, engaging with Architecture and Applications Development teams and ensuring new systems conform to the highest standards.
- Provide diagnosis and resolution of customer problems, engaging external support providers as necessary
- Escalate to the Technical Manager for technical and operational guidance, where needed
- Ensure resolution of complex issues are recorded and fed back to the support team in an agreed format and stored in an accessible location
- Identify areas for improvement. Plan, agree and implement changes (following change control processes).
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Substantial experience of providing Support (including at least some demonstrable 3rd line experience) in a fast moving 24/7 environment. Dev-ops experience is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of at least one of the following Linux distributions: SuSe, Red Hat Enterprise, Centos, Scientific Linux.
- Some experience administering Windows 2003 and 2008 servers, Active Directory, and the various linkage points to the Linux/Unix world.
- Experience of Linux/Unix scripting and script debugging, with good knowledge of Bash, Perl, Sed, Awk etc. Experience with Puppet is highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of database technologies, preferably including MySQL or IBM DB2. Experience with MS SQL, PostgreSQL, Progress OpenEdge or Percona XtraDB Cluster would be advantageous.
- Knowledge & experience of using Amazon Web Services is highly desirable.
- Knowledge & experience of SAN technologies; StorNext, iSCSI and Fibre Channel is desirable.
- Knowledge & experience of virtualisation technologies, particularly VMWare ESX, is desirable.
- Knowledge of broadcast video formats, protocols, and encoding standards is desirable.
- Understanding of the workflows and methodologies of Digital Asset Management is desirable.