This job is no longer available
Linux Systems Engineer - Global News and Financial IT company
40-45k with corporate benefits
Central London / City
Do you want to work for one of the world's most recognisable names in the world of business?
Global News and Financial IT company are now looking to hire 3 Systems Engineers on a permanent basis. We are looking for Systems Engineers that can come in and work with the development team to deploy and support large applications in their production environment. This is a great opportunity to work for one of the world's most popular and industry leading companies and gain great exposure to large scale projects. There is tremendous opportunity to grow your career and learn new skills in this organisation.
This person will be responsible for providing application support to online services within Financial Risk Service Operations. They will evaluate, analyse and resolve complex technical problems for both internal and external customers. Participation in a team environment is heavily relied upon, as is the ability to work independently.
- Assure reliable service operation
- Take ownership of incidents/problems; actioning/updating tickets and ensuring escalation paths are followed.
- Creating and maintaining technical support documentation.
- Support/contribute to service & infrastructure improvement initiatives.
- Use problem solving skills to resolve complex technical problems for internal and external customers
- Provide for installation, configuration and upgrade of service applications
- Communicate (verbally and in written format) at high levels in an organisation
- Create and manage technical documentation for product installation and administration
- Provide knowledge transfer for new team members when required
- Organise, prioritise, and handle multiple tasks and projects
- Research new software tools and develop solutions to common problems
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 3 years' experience of maintaining, configuring and running Linux and Windows systems. Understanding of operating systems internals and associated applications. The applicant must be confident controlling processes, manipulating files and using a range of fault finding tools.
- Experience working with java applications (deploy, maintain, troubleshoot & fix)
- Understanding of databases and SQL (Oracle, MSSQL).
- Tomcat & Apache
- Messaging technologies (e.g. RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ).
- Experience planning and executing deployments and rolling back as appropriate
- Understanding of the OSI model, basic networking and common protocols e.g. HTTP, FTP.
- Has worked with development teams, test teams and has a good understanding of the development lifecycle
Must have the following skills:
- Shell scripting
- Incident management, be able to localise an issue and escalate to the relevant teams.
- Aware of security best practices.
- Able to create technical documentation
- Automated deployments
Nice to have skills:
- NodeJS experience
- Active Directory
- Understanding of F5 load balancers and how iRules work.
- If it's an internal applicant, knowledge of the CMDB and Cobalt Deploy Engine.
- Has worked in a similar size environment
If you feel you have the relevant experience and you're up for a challenge in a rewarding company then please send in a copy of your latest CV ASAP.
Benefits inc - very strong pension, season ticket loan, free onsite gym and swimming pool, medical insurance, life assurance, 25 day hols increasing every year, option to buy and sell more hols, plus lots more.