This job is no longer available
Network and Systems Specialist (Design/Projects) - Hedgefund
Salary: 65-85K, negotiable salary + benefits + hedgefund bonuses
A leading global Hedge fund is looking to hire a Networks and Systems Specialist to join their growing Infrastructure team to drive the review, design, implementation and development of core infrastructure across networks and windows based systems with a particular focus on the Networking side. The role will involve some operational tasks however most incidents will be handled by the support team whilst the Engineer will be more focused around improvements, developing networks systems and associated processes/documentation and projects.
A major focus for the Engineer will be around core Cisco networking products and in the development and improvement of the Global WAN as part of the drive the business has in the Quality of Service for Data, Voice and Video networking in line with evolving business needs (utilising products such as ASA firewalls and Riverbed Steelhead for optimisation). The role is multi dimensional and is not suitable for just a pure network engineer or a pure core systems engineer, the engineer should ideally have good technical background in both the networking and core infrastructure arenas in order to have the overarching appreciation of networking and systems and their interactions from an architecture perspective.
Ideal skill set/experience:
- Networking skills: Cisco R&S, LAN/WAN and Checkpoint / ASA Firewalls
- Windows based systems skills: Server, Active Directory, Exchange & Citrix
- Strong appreciation of the bigger picture of Infrastructure and the interactions between different technologies and how everything slots together from an architecture/platform perspective.
- Very strong problem solving, design and solution based skills
- Solid project delivery and associated process and documentation skills
- Experience working in another financial environment is desirable but not essential
Whilst technical skills are important, the team are looking for someone who has a good personality and has a real passion and enthusiasm for technology, and is committed to pushing it to its limits beyond the normal call of duty. The engineer must be a strong communicator with the ability to face off to both technical and business teams in order to fully appreciate the needs of the business and to improve the underlying infrastructure.