This job is no longer available
At Belong, we aim to reduce crime and the harm that it causes.
We are working with several criminal justice agencies to deliver an innovative project that will decrease re offending amongst adult males who are serving custodial sentences in HMP Brixton. The program will provide prison based, holistic one to one support to offenders, via a team of trained volunteers. It will assist each inmate to address the root causes of their previous offending and to avoid committing offences in the future. Males accessing the programme will be able to access one to one support for up to 3 months whilst in custody and for up to 1 year post release.
The project officer position provides an exciting opportunity for a reliable, organised, compassionate person, preferably with experience of working within the criminal justice or a related sector, to coordinate this program on a part time basis (21 hours per week) and assist in ensuring its effective, day to day operation.
Responsibilities of the post will include:
- Assisting with the recruitment and training of volunteer mentors so that a team of 12 active, suitably qualified volunteers is maintained.
- Publicising the programme, its eligibility criteria and its potential benefits, to prisoners and prison staff via outreach work with volunteers on prison wings and via presentations and briefings to prison staff.
- Publicising the programme to the wider community in London, in order to increase awareness of the programme and its benefits and to increase financial and other support for it.
- Undertaking dynamic risk and needs assessments in relation to the delivery of the programme, the participation of volunteers in the programme and the participation of prisoners in the programme.
- Providing day to day support, guidance and advice to volunteers who deliver one to one interventions to offenders.
To apply for this role please send us your full CV and a covering letter outlining what makes you suitable for this role. Please read the attached job description before you apply for this role and feel free to contact us with any queries you have.
Applications must be received by 10am on Wednesday 10th September 2014. Interviews for this role will take place on Tuesday 23rd September 2014.
Please note this job will be offered on a fixed term (1 year) basis with potential to be renewed subject to funding.
Apply now to join the Belong team and help us reduce crime across London!