This job is no longer available
DT Technician required to start ASAP.
Looking for a DT Technician with experience working in a secondary school environment who is looking to work on a long term basis in a Cardiff based secondary school.
You will be working 37 hours a week, Mon/Thurs 8am - 4pm, Fri 8am - 3:30pm OR Mon/Thurs 8:15am - 4:15pm, Fri 8:15am - 3:45pm
The school is a Welsh-medium coeducational secondary school in the east of Cardiff. It is one of three Welsh-medium secondary schools serving Cardiff.
It is not a requirement that you be able to speak Welsh but it would be beneficial. The rate of pay is between ?65 - ?80 day.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. The Technician is expected to prepare and provide learning resources as the demand arises from teachers.
* wood, metals, plastics, textiles, clay, etc., when required.
* components (such as electronic items) or fittings.
* construction kits such as Lego or ?Fischer technic '.
* chemicals - with the assistance of the Department of Science Technician, when necessary.
* food samples for preparatory experiments.
* equipment - plastics; soldering irons, and so on.
* computer resources.
* audiovisual resources where appropriate.
* equipment - machinery and hand tools as necessary.
2. Conduct routine maintenance of tools and equipment, in accordance with manufacturers? instructions.
* tools - check and ensure that they are in safe working order;
* tools - sharpen where and when necessary;
* machine tools and equipment - check and make sure they are safe to use (This would not involve significant remedial work nor electrical work on the main power supply);
* change filters on machines;
* clean laser cutter lenses;
* ensure hygiene and cleanliness of cooking utensils and equipment in Food Technology areas.
3. Conduct routine daily/weekly tasks, such as:
* ensure that storerooms and material preparation areas are safe, clean and orderly;
* ensure that protective clothing such as aprons, goggles, etc, are in a good order;
* ensure that safety equipment such as safety guards and lights are in good working order;
* assist with storage and stock control.
4. Assist with the overall layout of the learning areas, for example:
* prepare storage systems / racks for equipment / materials and components.
Points to note:
* The above points aim to identify the key responsibilities of the Technician in the Technology Department, however, other relevant duties are added, when necessary in discussion with the post holder and their Line Manager
* Specialist attention is required at times to ensure the safe use of equipment and machinery in the preparation of resistant materials and others.
* Some of the above duties may only be performed by staff with relevant qualifications. In such circumstances, the school will be able to provide appropriate training opportunities.
* Pupils are usually expected to assist with routine tasks, such as distributing and collecting tools, equipment and materials, and to keep workplaces clean and tidy after use.
If you have any queries or questions about anything please feel free to contact Cortez Belle, tel. 02920 340740 or email. firstname.lastname@example.org.
The successful candidate will be required to have a DBS that is registered on the "update service" or be happy to apply for a new one. You will also need to be able to provide references for the last 2 years and be subject to Randstad Education checks.